Yandex is one of the most popular search engines used by the Russian audience and it’s every site owner’s dream to push his webpage into the top of it. Especially if the webpage is targeted for Russian speaking audience. But how does one push his webpage into the Yandex top search results?
The magic word is called SEO (search engine optimization). It is the process of optimising your website to improve the position of your website in the search results in Yandex or other search engines and to attract relevant audience.
SEO basics step №1: Content
- Before starting to optimize your website for search engines, determine the audience of your site. Who are the readers and with which keywords will the site be looked for? Try to use many keywords in your content, but don’t forget to make the article interesting and readable.
- Write on topics that you know about, and only information that will be really interesting to your readers. Don’t forget to use quotes and interesting statistic data. This will encourage the readers to sign up for the site’s updates or save it in their bookmarks and come back to it later.
- Make a list of experts in your field and try to interview them on a hot topic. If the author allows it, you can publish his content on your site, with his permission of course. When using quotations or reposts you should write the name of the author with the @ symbol. This will not only flatter the author but will also bring to your site organic traffic.
- Create content that touches people’s feelings and makes them think and raise questions. The content should encourage website users to write comments, motivate them to share the content and come back for more input. This social aspect is what the search engines appreciate.
- Publish at least twice a week. The Yandex robots are used to come back for the next “piece” of the website-content at the same time.
SEO basics step №2: Usability
- Use menus and internal links to other articles with further informaon or explanation.
- Choose the right font. It needs to be simple and easy to read. The most convenient and accessible for all browsers fonts are: Times New Roman, Verdana, Georgia. With sizes ranging from 14 to 18. Choose the dark font on a light background, something that can be equally read by people of different ages and different levels of vision.
SEO basics step №3: Technical side
- The most important SEO elements are the title tag and the meta description. You will probably find the special fields for them in your CMS system. Fill them for every article separately. The title tag on pages of your website tells search engines what the page is about and can contain up to 70 characters. The meta description on pages of your website gives search engines an overview or little more insight into what your page is about.
- Use header Tags like <H1></H1> tags surround the post title or <H2></H2> and <H3></H3> tags surround subheadings on the page. Using them helps the search engines break up your content into digestible sections.
- If you use images, don’t forget to give them names and ALT Tags. Example in the HTML view: <img src=”screenshot_yandex_webmaster.png” alt=”Registering for the Yandex Webmaster Tools” />. This helps search engines find good images for their image search based on the keywords specified.
- Bolded Text can also help search engines distinguish important information.
- Create a XML Sitemap, here you can find more information about it: Sitemap
SEO basics step №4: Tools
- To look-up new ideas for the most popular keywords, relating to yo business, you can use the Yandex keyword tool calling Wordstat.
- Get registered in Yandex Webmaster-Tools and after adding a new article add it to the “Add Site” section. That’s another way to remind the Yandex robots about your site. There you can also see the technical mistakes of your website and some user-usage related statistics.
If your On-Site SEO will be done well, you will see your website on the higher positions in Yandex.